Here are some general questions about VR gaming.
This is the first version of the VR gameplay guide. I decided to put this here because the forum thread it was based on keeps disappearing from the list and I see the same questions keep popping up.
First of all, this is just a cut and paste of the main post. When I have time, I'll review it and reformat parts of it.
1. How to Swim: Use your jump jets and point your right hand where you want to go. Once you reach the desired depth, move normally. (Rift-S)
2. How to use the Exocraft Mining Beam/Cannon: In Rift-S there doesn't seem to be a controller binding to enable this. Press G on your physical keyboard, then "A" on your controller. The beam fires wherever you look (Rift-S)
*Note: Pressing a key on the keyboard robs your controller of focus. The headset tracks the controllers' position, but virtually nothing else, and you can't steer the vehicle. To fix this, open the game menu (Y on Rift-S) and press the right trigger anywhere in the menu to refocus the game on the controller and close the menu. At this point it should work normally. As far as I can see, every keystroke on the keyboard will do this.
Power contributed the following to the Rift CV-1. I can confirm this does NOT work on my Rift-S:
"in rift, not risf s, you press a direction on the left stick, up or down or left or right (not in my vr at the moment and found it a bit by accident) to change the fire mode. works for laser mining and weapon selection on the exos and ship.”
3. Search Tool: Once the module is installed in your multitool, activate the scan mode. From there, use "A" on the controller to toggle between Scan and Survey (Rift-S). An additional note: the search tool only recognizes a nearby resource. You cannot change mode to try to discover a specific feature. If you can't find the feature you're looking for, walk away from her until she sees something else.
4. How to steer while using jump jets: Steering is controlled by where your right hand is pointing. (Rift-S)
5. Loading modules using quick menu: In Rift, there is no right or left scrolling feature to access quick menu items. However, if you click on an item on the edge of the menu it will be selected, the left trigger will return you to the menu and center it again, taking you to items not visible initially. (Rift-S)
6. To reset your POV: Press in both thumbs and hold for a moment. This is useful if you like to sit and stand alternately and your view is captured in an awkward place (e.g. sideways in the cab of a vehicle). This is just for the Rift. I don't know of any other system.
As a note, this also triggers a scan. A little silly, but it doesn't hurt.
7. How to Fire the Blaze Javelin: You can't. Well, you can, but the workaround for this isn't really feasible. My testing shows that the fire button is not linked to the Rift controller. It is still tied to the left mouse button. It works... it loads and fires, but I can only do it with the left mouse button. Keybind Fix would fix this.
8. How to climb a ladder: This is quite problematic at the moment. When it works correctly, use the pull gesture to use the ladder. I don't think it's an issue with or without power as I've seen an error in both conditions. Also, be warned, if you have a multi-segment ladder in a vertical underwater tube, using the pull gesture will bring a segment of your ladder up, trapping you behind the ladder and glass tube. Cleaning the stairs is the only way out.
9. How do I chat in VR?: Probably not for everyone, but the keyboard works. At least on the Rift. I simply place the keyboard on my lap, hit enter, and start typing. Of course, if you'd rather stay still while playing, this isn't practical. It also probably helps to know how to type without looking at the keyboard. But it works.
10. How do I rename things in VR?: Apparently you can't do this currently. "Rename and upload" doesn't seem to do anything. No text fields or ability to edit current text. Also, there doesn't even seem to be an option to rename your base.
TommyFresh shared that he could rename his base. I can't duplicate, but perhaps others will be luckier:
The name was in the top left corner of the screen when you opened it, click Rtrigger (or A I don't remember) on it and it should clear the text box. Then I just typed it on the keyboard and it entered. Like I said, it was buggy and I had to do it a few times. My friend also had the same problem and managed to rename his base after trying again.”
11. Using HOTAS: Currently there doesn't seem to be any HOTAS support. If anyone managed to get this to work, please share.
12. How to Rebind Keys: This is another thing that doesn't seem possible right now. The Rebind Keys menu does not work in Flat or VR. If anyone finds a workaround, please share.
(Dr. Reed has a workaround for this, I've copied his method below)
13. My screen darkens at the edges when I move: This is VR motion vignette. Your attitude is not obvious. Go to the menu and select "Control Options". Turn off vignette VR and the blackout will disappear.
14. Using the Analysis Visor: Place your left hand near the left side of your headset and hold (on the Rift). You are now in analysis mode and your multitool will automatically deploy in your right hand. Aim and "shoot" to scan flora, fauna and minerals. To highlight (to navigate to) an object in the default view, point to it and hold the trigger. The menu tip tells you to press "X" to set a custom marker, but that doesn't seem to be working at the moment. In scan mode, if you have the survey module installed, you can press “A” (Rift) to switch to survey mode and search for hotspots. People interviewed will tell you which access point is closest, providing the distance and some Wi-Fi-looking flashing bars for guidance. Follow them and when you reach the hotspot it will scan you and give you details. Once this is done, the access point will appear as a POI if you have activated search mode. I haven't tested it, but I believe you can select and highlight it like any other POI, so you don't have to travel with search mode turned on.
15. How to use photo mode in VR: This doesn't seem to be working right now. At least I can't find a way. If anyone knows let me know and I'll add it here.
BigEdge contributed this tip. No photo mode, but there is a screenshot function:
"Take a screenshot of Steam in VR...
Press and hold left menu button + left trigger
Works with HTC and Oculus"
*Note that this is the actual menu button on the controller, not the "Open Main Menu" button (which is "Y" on the Rift)
16. Perform a quick scan without having to use the Analysis Viewfinder: left thumb click (Rift-S)
A few more additions: thanks Ryuujin
* Ship weapon selection is left thumbs up (index)
* You really don't need your left hand on the throttle to fire the afterburners or boost if you want to rest your arm after adjusting the throttle.
Addendum: Thanks Bubba Fett
The direction you point your left hand also controls your movement.
If you push the analog stick forward to move, but your left hand is on the head where you activate the aim, you will move backwards. (How to control your movement on PSVR without analog sticks)
(Added by Dr. Reed)
Touch controls can be retrieved by editing the TOUCH.JSON file with Notepad++
The file is located in the No Man's Sky/Gamedata/Input folder
Example: I changed the right trigger fire button to the left X button.
„Ausgabe“ : „/actions/onfootcontrols/in/fire“
„Pfad“ : „/user/hand/right/input/trigger“
[ For ]
How to play no mans sky in VR mode? ›
Right click on the game in your Library and select the play in VR option.Does no man's sky VR support full body tracking? ›
Full VR Body in No Man´s Sky!! It is so awesome to have a full body avatar in VR on No Man´s Sky!!! The latest Experimental version have the option to show the full body. It raises the sen...Can you walk in NMS VR? ›
To walk or jetpack backwards in VR, use the analogue sticks, or move the controller behind yourself. The right B button activates the jetpack and swimming.How to play no mans sky on Oculus from Steam? ›
- Install the Oculus program on your computer and open it.
- Install SteamVR and open it.
- Connect your Quest 2 to your computer. The easiest way is use a high quality USB cable, which will cost you about $15.
- In VR, click yes to enable Oculus Link.
- In steam, open No Man's Sky.
You connect the headset to your computer using the link cable and allow and turn on all the settings and enable all the things you need to. Then make sure you have steam vr installed then you can launch no mans sky in vr mode.Why won't no mans sky launch on Steam? ›
If you're running an overlay like MSI Afterburner or the Steam overlay, try disabling it and rebooting the game. Go to Steam > No Man's Sky right-click > Properties > Browse Local Files > GAMEDATA > SHADERCACHE and delete the files in that folder.Why do I get so tired in VR? ›
When using VR, a user's brain is forced to process visual stimuli in a different way than normal. This can cause eye strain, which is simply a case of the eye muscles becoming fatigued. Eye strain will not cause long-term problems, but it is a sign that the eyes and brain need a break from the activity.How do you build up your VR tolerance? ›
Stop playing right away, at least until you're not dizzy anymore. This prevents your brain from linking the smell and feeling of the VR headset to the feeling of motion sickness. Always stop using the VR headset before you start feeling nauseous or dizzy, so you can slowly build up your tolerance.How do you make VR Unblurry? ›
- Make sure that you've removed the protective film on the headset lenses.
- Check that the lenses are clean. Use the cleaning cloth provided in the box to wipe the lenses.
- Make sure that you're wearing the headset properly. ...
- Make sure your IPD is set correctly.
As long as you own the core game, of course.
What VR setup is best for no mans sky? ›
Best Overall: HTC Vive.What VR has full body tracking? ›
HaritoraX 1.1 is an inexpensive, space-saving wireless full-body tracking device that requires no additional equipment. When combined with a VR headset such as Meta Quest 2 or HTC Vive, the avatar's entire body can be moved in the Metaverse in sync with its body motions in the real world.Can you use a camera for full body tracking in VR? ›
HybridTrak uses a single uncalibrated webcam and a common inside-out upper body tracking system. The user only has to place a camera in a place where the user's body can be seen without occlusion, put on the VR headset and controllers, and enter the VR as usual.How many VR trackers do you need for full body? ›
We recommend 3+ trackers for a full-body tracking experience. Additional trackers and mountable straps sold separately.Can you go underwater in NMS? ›
Master the depths of planets using a new Exocraft, the Nautilon. This submersible vehicle give new meaning to underwater navigation, combat and mining – and can be summoned to any ocean on the planet, as well as docked at underwater buildings.What happens if you accept the Atlas NMS? ›
If the player chooses to follow the Atlas storyline, then they will come across strange space stations run by the Atlas.Is NMS infinite? ›
No Man's Sky is a game about exploration and survival in an infinite procedurally generated galaxy, available on PS4, PC, and Xbox One.How hard is no mans Sky to run? ›
The system requirements for No Man's Sky are actually lower than you might expect. PC players only need a GeForce GTX 480 or a Radeon HD 7870 alongside an Intel Core i3. No Man's Sky also requires 8 GB of RAM and a 64-bit operating system. The base game only needs about 10 GB of free harddrive space.Are VR games harder to run? ›
VR gaming is much more resource intensive than monitor gaming. In short, that's because the render resolution is much higher than the 1080p displays used by most PC users today. Not to mention, VR games must also be rendered in 3D and anywhere from 72 to 144 FPS depending on the headset.Is no mans sky hard to run on PC? ›
Bad news is that it runs at around 10-20 fps and takes 5 minutes to load (my main rig loads in 10-15 sec). If you have a better cpu and ram amount than this computer and your graphics card has more than 1 Gb memory then you might be able to get a decent'ish experience. Hope it helps. Ok, I did the test.
Do you need a strong PC to run VR? ›
Often, you have to work with a cable to use a VR headset with the computer. You also need a gaming PC with at least one NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 video card or a similar one. In addition, the PC must have at least 8GB RAM, an Intel Core i5 processor, and enough USB ports.How many years would it take to beat no man's sky? ›
In fact, it's almost unfathomably large. Your character wakes up on one planet, but No Man's Sky has 255 entire galaxies' worth of planets to explore, totaling up to more than 18 quintillion worlds. It would take you nearly 585 billion years to see them all.Does NMS ever end? ›
The Center of the Galaxy is the end-game scenario for No Man's Sky's primary campaign. While players are free to explore the galaxy at their leisure and to their heart's content, the ultimate goal of the single-player mode is to reach the elusive center and the main story ending of No Man's Sky.Is no man's sky the longest game ever? ›
Just let that sink in for a bit. While that number may seem impossible to even comprehend, it's actually a quintillion (18 zeros), and means that, at least unofficially, No Man's Sky must be the biggest game ever made – and we're sure the Guinness World Record will follow in time.How long is too long in VR? ›
Spending more than the recommended 30 minutes in VR will — in nearly every case — cause you to lose spatial awareness of the room around you. After 30 minutes, it is much more difficult to identify where things are in the physical world, from inside your headset.Is VR good for your brain? ›
Just like with any other technology, overexposure to VR can lead to increased alterations in the brain, resulting in headaches and nausea.Are VR games good for the brain? ›
Virtual reality games that combine physical activity and brain-training may help slow cognitive decline in older adults, research at Pacific Neuroscience Institute suggests.What is the hardest video game to run on PC? ›
- 2 Far Cry 6. Minimum. (30 FPS)
- 3 Dying Light 2. Minimum. Recommended. ...
- 4 Metro Exodus. Minimum. Recommended. ...
- 5 Final Fantasy XV. Minimum. (720p, 30 FPS) ...
- 6 Red Dead Redemption 2. Minimum. ...
- 7 Assassin's Creed: Valhalla. Minimum. ...
- 8 Forza Horizon 5. Minimum. ...
- 9 Shadow of the Tomb Raider. Minimum. ...
A science-fiction game set in an infinite procedurally generated galaxy. When focusing on the main objectives, No Man's Sky is about 30½ Hours in length. If you're a gamer that strives to see all aspects of the game, you are likely to spend around 141 Hours to obtain 100% completion.What is the hardest PC game to run? ›
- Final Fantasy 7 Remake (December 16, 2021) ...
- Halo Infinite (December 8, 2021) ...
- Far Cry 6 (October 7, 2021) ...
- Forza Horizon 5 (9 November, 2021) ...
- Resident Evil Village (May 7, 2021) ...
- Cyberpunk 2077 (December 10, 2020) ...
- Microsoft Flight Simulator (August 18, 2020)
Does VR use a lot of RAM? ›
The majority of VR headsets require at least 8 GB of RAM. The only exception is HTC Vive Pro and HTC Vive Pro Eye that can run with just 4 GB. HTC Vive Cosmos also requires 8 GB+ RAM.Is 16 GB RAM enough for VR? ›
Does more RAM help VR? Not anymore than it would a normal flatspace videogame. Usually a minimum of 8–12GB of RAM or at the very most 16GBs is enough, although chances are you'll never actually use that much unless you have a lot of things open in the background.How much does a good VR setup cost? ›
Cost for installation: Typical cost for a one-person installation (if required) varies from $2,000 ~ $10,000 depending on location, install duration and requirements for the system scope.